The Delta state chapter of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) has frowned at the total neglect and non-inclusion of its members sporting activities and events organized by the state government within and outside the state.
The swipe on the state government by the sports writers followed a six-point communique signed by Comrade Mike Ikeogwu (Chairman) and Jude Agbeyeke (Secretary), issued at the end of its congress held on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Press Centre in Asaba.
While pledging to co-operate with the state government and stakeholders in moving sports in the state forward, SWAN enjoined sport administrators in the state to always liaise with it before and during sporting activities.
The Communique, made available to Blank NEWS Online reads:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE CONGRESS OF THE DELTA STATE CHAPTER OF THE SPORTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA, SWAN, HELD AT THE NUJ PRESS CENTER ASABA, DELTA STATE ON 28-02-13.
At the end of deliberations, the following resolutions were taken by the members of the State chapter of SWAN Delta.
1. That Delta SWAN commends the governor of the State Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan for his contributions, support and giant strides in the development of sports in Delta State, especially in the area of improving the states position in Nigerian by winning the 2012 National Sports Festival in Lagos.
The body also commends the governor for the states performance at the just concluded National School Sports Festival held in Port Harcourt Rivers State where the state finished second.
2. SWAN Delta commends the State’s successful hosting of the victorious Super Eagles as well as naming the Asaba City Stadium after Coach Steven Keshi who became the first Nigerian and the second African to win the Cup of Nations as a player and Coach. This demonstrates the governor’s disposition to reward hard work.
3. SWAN thanks the governor for promising to complete the Coach Steven Keshi Stadium in Asaba stressing that the Stadium will further improve the state’s position in Nigerian sports as it will afford youths in the state capital the opportunity of sharpening their raw talents in whatever sporting activity they were involved in.
4. While commending the governor for accepting to include one of its members into a committee, the association frowned at the total neglect and non-inclusion of the members of the body in all sporting activities and events being organized by the state government within and outside the state.
5. That henceforth sport administrators in the state should always liaise with SWAN Delta in all sporting activities and ensure that any member of the association to be appointed into any office should get clarification from the State SWAN.
6. SWAN Delta pledges her support and co-operation to the state government and all stakeholders in sports towards moving sports in the state forward.
Comrade Mike Ikeogwu (Chairman)
Jude Agbeyeke (Secretary).