No Ikoyi Lagos properties sold by NDLEA

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has said none of it’s property has been sold off by any former Chairman/CEO of the agency.

A statement on Wednesday by the spokesman of the agency, Femi Babafemi described claims in an anonymous write up going round on WhatsApp platforms that a certain former Chairman/CEO of the agency sold off NDLEA headquarters office buildings in Ikoyi, Lagos, leaving officers and men stranded, as a total distortion of facts.

The statement read: “The Agency wishes to state that buildings referred to in the circulating piece, which did not belong to it in the first place, served as its National Headquarters before its relocation to Abuja some years ago. It should be noted that a Presidential Implementation Committee (PIC) on Federal Government Landed Properties took over the buildings following a government directive that all vacated or underutilised government properties be taken over by the PIC, sold and proceeds paid to federal government coffers.”

The statement added that: “At the time of relocation, 70% of the agency’s headquarters staff moved to Abuja while the remaining 30% are still in Shaw road office, Ikoyi. This remaining 30% will soon join the main headquarters in Abuja as soon as the new HQ building, recently bought by the federal government for the agency is ready for occupation.

“Like other federal government agencies whose properties were taken over by the PIC, NDLEA has no hand in the sale of the mentioned properties and does not know who bought them and for how much, as the presidential committee solely handled the sale.”

Babafemi said the challenge before the agency at the moment “is how to remove our officers and men who live within communities where they are exposed to dangers into secure barracks accommodation, a concern already being addressed by the federal government through budgetary provisions for the construction of such barracks across the country beginning from this year.”

He therefore urged members of the public to disregard the anonymous write up, insisting that it is nothing but “an embodiment of distortion and mischief.”

News Reporter
Blank NEWS Online founding Editor-in-Chief and Publisher, Albert Eruorhe Ograka, is a Graduate of Mass Communication. He also holds a Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in Journalism from the International Institute of Journalism (IIJ).

Your Comment