The executive of the University of Ibadan Alumni Association (UIAA) has condemned the throwing of bombs in insitutions of higher learning in the country.
Rising from their 152nd National Executive Council meeting in Asaba, Delta State, the UIAA condemned the bomb blasts on the campuses of Bayero University, Kano and Gombe State University, calling on the Federal, State and local governments including security agencies to redouble efforts to rise up to the current security challenges.
In communique signed by the National Publicity Secretary of the association, Mr Vin Okonkwo who was also, Chairman, Communique drafting committee, UIAA NEC also urged the Federal Government to that social amenities are provided on campuses of Federal Universities.
According to them, provision of social amenities will promote conditions conducive to research, teaching and learning, observing that the closure of University of Ibadan for two weeks owing to students agitation arising from lack of water and electricity on the campus which were similar to agitations of students of some other Nigerian Universities are avoidable with the provision of basic amenities.
“On the issue of corruption, NEC observed that it was the duty of all patriotic Nigerians to expose corruption in the country and called on government at all levels to fight corruption head on so that resources will be deployed to areas of critical need to enhance the quality of life of Nigerians,” the communique reads.
The NEC members while commending the Delta State government for providing enabling environment for the meeting to hold had before the commencement of the meeting, paid courtesy calls on the Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Eweta Uduaghan, who was represented by his Deputy, Prof. Amos Utuama (SAN), the Asagba of Asaba, Obi (Prof.) Chike Edozien; the Obuzor of Ibusa, Obi (Prof.) L. C. Nwaoboshi; the Head of Service, Sir Okey Ofili, Chief Patrick Onyeobi and Chief Uso Onianwa.
Below is an excerpt of the communique:
COMMUNIQUE ON THE 152ND NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL (NEC) MEETING OF THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (UIAA) HELD AT BENIZIA HOTEL, ASABA, DELTA STATE, ON SATURDAY, 5TH MAY, 2012.
The 152nd National Executive Council (NEC) Meeting of the University of Ibadan Alumni Association, UIAA was held at the Benizia Hotel, Asaba, Delta State on Saturday, May 5, 2012. The meeting was attended by all the sixteen (16) National Officers of the Association and the following Branches: Delta, Abia, Enugu, Imo, Bayelsa, Anambra, Oyo, Ogun, Edo, Rivers, Ekiti, Akwa-Ibom and Lagos. Also present at the meeting, were the following Chapters: Gboko, Ughelli, Asaba, Isoko, Ika, NIFOR, Owo and Okitipupa.
2. The NEC Meeting was preceded by a meeting of the National Executive Committee on Friday, 4th May, 2012, during which members paid courtesy calls the Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Eweta Uduaghan, who was represented by his deputy, Prof. Amos Otuama, the Asagba of Asaba, Obi (Prof.) Chike Edozien; the Obuzor of Ibusa, Obi (Prof.) L. C. Nwaoboshi; the Head of Service, Sir Okey Ofili, mni; Chief P. I. G. Onyeobi and Chief Uso Onianwa.
3. The meeting deliberated on various issues affecting the U.I.A.A, the University of Ibadan and our country, Nigeria after which it resolved to issue this communiqué.
4. NEC approved that Election Congress will hold on July 28, 2012 at the University of Ibadan.
5. The 2011 Annual Alumni Lecture of the Association will hold on Friday, 8th June, 2012 at the Trenchard Hall, University of Ibadan, and will be delivered by a distinguished alumnus, Professor James Ayatse, Vice Chancellor, Federal University, Dutsin-ma, Katsina State.
6. NEC considered and approved the launch of an appeal fund at the University of Ibadan on Friday, 27th July, 2012 towards the construction of an Alumni Postgraduate Hall of Residence at the Ajibode Extension of the University. During the event, deserving alumni members will be honoured with Most Distinguished Alumnus and Worthy Ambassador awards.
7. NEC considered the prevailing insecurity in Nigeria especially as it affected security of lives and property in Nigerian Universities and condemned in strong terms the bomb blasts on the campuses of Bayero University, Kano and Gombe State University. NEC appealed to the Federal, States and Local Governments and the security agencies to redouble efforts to provide security for all Nigerians.
8. NEC noted the closure of the University of Ibadan for two weeks owing to students’ agitation arising from lack of water and electricity on the campus and observed that there were similar agitations by students of some other Nigerian Universities. NEC implored the Federal Government to ensure that social amenities such as water and electricity are provided on campuses of Federal Universities to promote conditions conducive to research, teaching and learning.
9. On the issue of corruption, NEC observed that it was the duty of all patriotic Nigerians to expose corruption in the country and called on government at all levels to fight corruption head on so that resources will be deployed to areas of critical need to enhance the quality of life of Nigerians.
10. NEC mandated the National Executive to liaise with the Vice Chancellor and Management of the University of Ibadan to explore avenues of facilitating the admission of children and wards of alumni members who meet the admission requirements towards ensuring that the alumni base of the institution continues to reflect the national outlook of the university.
11. NEC commended Delta State Branch, Asaba Chapter, members of the organizing committee and all those who contributed towards ensuring the success of the meeting.
12. NEC also commended the Government of Delta State for providing the enabling environment, which made it possible for members to hold their meeting under a secure atmosphere.
13. The next meeting of NEC was scheduled to hold on Saturday, 9th June, 2012 at the Alumni Centre, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
National Publicity Secretary
Chairman, Communique Committee.
0 thoughts on “University of Ibadan Alumni Condemns Bombing Of Tertiary Institutions”
BROWSE THE INTERNET FOR FREE WITH YOUR HOME DECODER SATELLITE DISH USING DSTV, HITV, STRONG, SPACE, MYTV, STARTIME DECODER, WITH A SPEED OF 8MBPS FOR DETAIL VISIT http://www.satellitebrowsing.blogspot.com AND CALL 08131034487 TO GET CONNECTED.
I am looking for university of Ibadan alumni. His name is anthony alexander (alexi) anyanelue. He is from Agbor and attended st. Columbas grammar school (now called Gbenoba grammar school, agbor) please call me st 407.967.2372–USA or text me on face book.