SINCE the inception of Maris Annual Public Service Lecture series, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly, will be the first person to attend the lecture as Governor-elect.
Rt. Hon. Oborevwori, Governor-elect, Delta State, can be described as a lucky man who will be attending the lecture with a Governor who will hand over power to him, Governor Ifeanyi A. Okowa , CON, of Delta State (2015 – 2023) and a former Governor of the state, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, Ph.D, CON, (2007 – 2015) and wife of a former Deputy Governor of the state, Lady Esther Elue (1999-2007.)
To event watchers, Rt. Hon. Oborevwori, and lovers of democracy will be at the lecture which will be delivered by an administrator and democrat, Chief Sir Fidelis Tilije, who will speak on the topic, “Provision Of Infrastructure As Catalyst For The Growth Of Democratic Governments.”
Oil magnate, Dr. Gabriel Ogbechie, OON, Group Managing Director, Rainoil Limited, shall be the Chairman of the lecture which will hold on Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at the prestigious Unity Hall, Government House, Asaba. Time for the lecture is 12 noon prompt.
Lady Elue will be Mother of the Day at the lecture and Rev. Fr. John Konyeke, will be the Spiritual Father of the Day.
To discuss the thought-provoking lecture are Dr. Festus Goziem Okubor, Dr. Augustina Erah, Dr. Paul Oweh and Comrade Olumami Oyibo while Dr. Anthony Kemi Emina will be the Moderator.
A brief biography of Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, Special Guest of Honour at this year’s edition of Maris lecture is presented below:
Rt. Hon. (Chief) Sheriff F. O. Oborevwori, (JP) was born on the 19th of June, 1963 to the reputable family of Chief Samuel and Mrs Esther Oborevwori of Osubi town in Okpe Local Government Area of Delta State, Nigeria. He had his early education at Alegbo Primary School, Effurun. And attended Aladja Grammar School, Aladja. He later went on to Oghareki Grammar School, Oghareki.
He attended Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma for a full time programme, where he graduated with B.Sc. Second Class (Hons) Upper Division in Political Science. He subsequently pursued his post graduate education at the Delta State University, Abraka, where he obtained the M.Sc. in Political Science.
Hon. (Chief) Sheriff Oborevwori is a man who had always availed himself to serve others even in the face of daunting challenges.
Consequently, his people had no hesitation when they elected him as Councillor in 1996, and he was subsequently appointed the Supervisory Councillor for Works in Okpe Local Government Council.
Meanwhile, he was the pioneer Chairman of Osubi Community from 1996 to 2003. Following his developmental strides in Osubi Community as well as other contributions to peace and security, he was given the Chieftaincy title of the UKODO of Okpe Kingdom in 2003, by His Royal Majesty, the Orhorho 1, Orodje of Okpe Kingdom.
On May 25, 2022, Rt. Hon. Sheriiff Oborevwori, won the gubernatorial primary election of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
Rt. Hon. Oborevwori, on March 18, 2023, emerged as the Governor-elect, Delta State with 360, 234 votes against his closest rival, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege of the All Progressives Congress, APC, who scored 240,229.
He is happily married with children.
Hon. (Chief) Sheriff F. O. Oborevwori (JP) has been recognized and honoured by many organizations for his service to humanity, social and traditional institutions, which include:
* Member Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered).
* Chartered Management Consultant, Chartered Institute of Management Consultants, Canada.
* Certificate on Top Executive Leadership Programme, Manchester Business School, Manchester University.
* Certificate on Conflict Resolution in Democracy, Dubai.
* Certificate on Legislative Management and Leadership, International Law Institute (ILI) , Washington DC, USA.
* Certificate on Leading Inclusive Development from London School of Economics And Political Science.
* Merit Award from National Association of Okpe Students (NAOS).
* Merit Award from National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS).
* Certificate of Honour from Okpe Kingdom and other several Awards from different Organisations and Institutions.
* Senior Special Assistant on Security to the Executive Governor of Delta State from 2012 to 2014.
* Special Assistant to the Governor of Delta State on Youth Development from 2003-2006.
* Justice of Peace, 2007.
* Special Adviser to the Governor of Delta State on Land Security, August 2007 to September 2010.
* State Coordinator of the Amnesty Programme, 2009 and 2010.
* Elected Member of the Delta State House of Assembly in 2015 to represent Okpe State Constituency.
* Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly, May 11, 2017 till date.
* Gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP 2022-2023
* Governor-elect, Delta State (2023)